Public comment will be accepted through the . To ensure submitted public comment can be reviewed by the Planning Commission and the applicants before the meeting, please submit all public comment by 2:00 p.m. the day of the meeting. Comments received after 2:00 p.m. the day of the meeting will be added to the public record, but the Commission may not be able to review them before or during the meeting.
The applicant is requesting approval of land use entitlements for Soaring Ranch Phase 3, a mixed-use commercial and residential project located at 10701 Soaring Way (APN 019-620-067-000) within the Joerger Ranch Specific Plan Area. The applicant requests the following land use approvals:
- Development Permit for projects that involve new non-residential structure(s) with 7,500 square feet or more of total gross floor area, 26,000 square feet or more of site disturbance, and/or 11 or more multi-family residential units;
- Planned Development Amendment to revise the overall Soaring Ranch site plan to integrate the Phase 3 mixed-use development;
- Use Permit to allow for multi-family residential units in the CR (Regional Commercial) zoning district at a density of 12 dwelling units per acre, consistent with the General Plan and Joerger Ranch Specific Plan, and to permit an accessory daycare use as a residential amenity for the tenants; and
- Zoning Clearance to permit 7,834 sq. ft. of retail space in the CR zoning district.
Recommended Action: That the Planning Commission adopt Resolution 2022-12, determining the project consistent with the adopted Joerger Ranch Specific Plan and thereby precluding any further environmental review consistent with CEQA Section 15183 (Projects Consistent with a Community Plan, General Plan or Zoning) and Public Resources Code Section 21166 and CEQA Guidelines Section 15162 (Lead agency prohibition to require subsequent reports for a certified project unless specific events occur), and approving the Development Permit, Planned Development Amendment, Use Permit and Zoning Clearance, based on the recommended findings and subject to the recommended conditions of approval.
At the August 16, 2022 Planning Commission hearing, review of the Soaring Ranch Phase 3 project was continued at the request of the applicant. On September 1, 2022, the applicant team submitted a revised Affordable Housing Plan requesting two density bonus concessions as part of the proposed project. A staff memo has been included in this packet to address this new information.
The appellant, Robert Ferwerda, has requested to appeal three conditions of a conditionally approved Senate Bill 9 Urban Lot Split. On January 4, 2022, the appellant applied to subdivide his 5,000 square foot, Single-Family Residential, no further subdivision (RS-X) zoned lot into two lots of 3,000 square feet and 2,000 square feet through the Senate Bill (SB) 9 Urban Lot Split process adopted by Town Council through Urgency Ordinance 2021-10 on December 14, 2021. The application for this project was deemed complete on February 1, 2022 and was conditionally approved on February 23, 2022. The conditions for the project were required to be satisfied prior to a map being recorded with Nevada County’s Clerk Recorder’s Office, which would finalize the two-lot subdivision.
Recommended Action: That the Planning Commission adopt Resolution 2022-11 thereby taking the following actions:
- Deny the appeal to remove the stated conditions of approval for Planning Application 2022-00000004 (Ferwerda Urban Lot Split) on the basis that the conditions are allowed pursuant to the Town of Truckee’s Development Code, the State of California’s Senate Bill 9 and the Subdivision Map Act;
- Uphold the decision of the Community Development Director in approving the requested Urban Lot Split and related conditions of approval.
- Determine the Community Development Director’s determination exempt from the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Guidelines per Section 15061(b)(3) (General Rule Exemption).
Posting: I declare a copy of this agenda was posted at Town Hall, 10183 Truckee Airport Road, Truckee, CA, on September 16, 2022 by 5:00 p.m. Agenda packets are available for public review online at www.townoftruckee.com
Any writings or documents provided to a majority of the Planning Commission regarding any item on this agenda will be made available for public inspection in the lobby of Truckee Town Hall located at 10183 Truckee Airport Road, Truckee, CA, during normal business hours.
For any item on this agenda, the Planning Commission may take the following actions: approve the item as recommended by staff, approve the item with modified conditions of approval and/or a different California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) determination, continue the item until a future meeting, or deny approval of the item.
Note: Public participation is encouraged. In compliance with Section 202 of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (42 U.S.C. Sec. 12132) and in compliance with the Ralph M. Brown Act, if you need special assistance to enable you to attend and participate in this meeting, or if you need the agenda or related materials in an alternative format, please contact the Town Clerk (530) 582-7700. Notification 48 hours prior to the meeting will enable the Town to make reasonable arrangements to ensure accessibility to all aspects of this meeting. For information on recent changes to the Ralph M. Brown Act (effective January 1, 2003) with regard to ADA requirements, please see Government Codes 54953.2, 54954.1, 54954.2 and 54957.5.